Username:

Password:

Forgot Password? / Help

Press Democrat

Sonoma women's club marks 100 years at center of civic life

Its unassuming clubhouse is located only a half-block off the Sonoma Plaza, overlooked by visitors drawn to nearby restaurants, the mission and historic adobes.But for … ...read more

Source:: PressDemo – Local News

Eclectic history of Petaluma’s Willowbrook Ale House commemorated

Willowbrook Ale House

Willowbrook Ale House

Willowbrook Ale House, a two-story shingled building on the north end of Petaluma, has a history that belies its modest appearance. Almost 130 years old, … ...read more Source:: PressDemo – Local News

Washoe House north of Petaluma sold

The popular watering hole and restaurant at Stony Point and Roblar roads have new owners.
Covered in a layer of road dust, the red Old West building with white trim has stood along the country-road thoroughfare between Petaluma and Santa Rosa since 1859, first as a stagecoach stop then as a watering hole.
Source: Press Democrat - Washoe House north of Petaluma being sold

Gaye LeBaron: Old Courthouse Square has divided Santa | The Press Democrat

Old Courthouse Square, known as a plaza before the mall usurped the name, has long been a contentious place. It is still the object of not only disagreement but also widespread misunderstanding.
Source: Gaye LeBaron: Old Courthouse Square has divided Santa | The Press Democrat

Fate of historic Kenwood home continues to be debated

Carlo Figliolini didn’t learn about the rich history of the his white stucco Kenwood home until the walls started to crumble. Peter Maroni — one of the four Italian stonemasons who built St. Rose Church, the Western Hotel and La Rose Hotel in Santa Rosa constructed the two-bedroom house on Shaw and Clyde avenues more than a century ago.   Read more in The Press Democrat

Filmmaker honored for ‘Camp Windsor’ documentary

Camp Windsor

Camp Windsor

Santa Rosa filmmaker Robyn Kasper has been a finalist in three film competitions since 2012 but never won an award. In January, the spell was broken.

Kasper was honored by the Sonoma County Historical Society for “Camp Windsor,” her 27-minute documentary about the German prisoner of war camp that housed 250 captives during World War II. It was a branch of the Army’s Camp Beale in Marysville.  Read More

Gaye LeBaron Makes "Sonoma County Woman of the Year" 2015

Gaye LebaronPress Democrat

Gaye LeBaron

A well deserved achievement has been recognized this week. Gaye LeBaron is Sonoma County's Woman of the Year 2015 says U.S. Congressman Mike Thompson.  View the Congressional Record

The Press Democrat reports...

KSRO Interviews..   She is "Great, Perfect"

Gaye Lebaron's Digital Collection at Sonoma State University.

Historic Old Courthouse Square building for sale

Empire Building - Photo © Sean Bressie

Change is coming to the historic, clock-capped Empire Building on Santa Rosa's Old Courthouse Square. It is up for sale and its primary tenant — … ...read more Source:: PressDemo – Local News

Sebastopol's landmark feed store plans comeback

Before last year's fire, Frizelle Enos feed store, a link to the region’s agricultural roots, had been in continuous operation since its founding as a feed mill in 1939, serving the west county and its commercial hub, Sebastopol. It has borne the Frizelle Enos label since two proprietors with those names assumed the business in 1946.

Operated out of a concrete-block retail building that shared the lot with a corrugated metal warehouse, the roughly 16,000-square-foot emporium offered livestock feeds and products, pet foods, ranchwear and related items, as well as what Stacey Renati called “little pluses and extras you wouldn’t expect,” like distinctive socks, soaps and lotions that sold surprisingly well.

The vintage red-and-white checkerboard pattern around the exterior walls, familiar to patrons and passers-by alike, will remain, as well as  its eclectic mix of merchandise, and even some of the personnel. ....Read more

Source: Press Democrat

St. Dorothy's Rest in Camp Meeker traces its history back 113 years

“Once you enter through the gate, the air is different... There's a timelessness about it.” St. Dorothy's Rest is the oldest continuously operated camp in California. Founded in 1901 with a 1-acre gift from lumber baron Melvin Meeker, the camp was the brainchild of Nellie Lincoln and her husband, the Rev. James Lincoln.   ...Read more Source: Press Democrat
Pages:123
X